Apple makes some awesome hardware, and to say they are innovators is a gross understatement. The have designed and created some of the most influential and game changing products ever. But as an accessories manufacturer, they just aren’t that good. All you have to do is look to the lame iPod nano socks that they released a few years ago and actually still have available in their store.
So I was a bit skeptical when I picked up the iPad case designed by Apple. By all accounts, it looked like a solid product when I examined it’s official product page. With a lack of case offerings, I decided to go with the “official” iPad case.
Having used the Apple iPad case for nearly a month now, I have a few thoughts about it that I’ve outline below.
- It’s hard as hell to get the iPad into the case. It’s even harder to get it out. This is probably my biggest gripe with this particular case. I cannot easily slip it in or out. iPad lube anyone?
- The case itself is made out of a rubber type material. It’s grippy. It feels okay to me.
- You can flip the cover backwards so that the iPad is able to lay tilted tilted at an angle for typing in landscape mode or stand up for video viewing. When you lay it down it provides the perfect typing angle. However, using the case to prop up the for video watching purposes is not so great. In this position, any slight shake or movement will tip the iPad over. Having said that, I was able to watch an entire movie using the Netflix app while the iPad was propped in the stand-up landscape position without a fall.
- It’s impossible to use the Apple iPad dock when the case is in use.
- Accessing the volume and screen lock buttons can be a struggle at times.
- Finally (and themost selfish gripe of all), why does the case not come with the iPad? I remember my 3rd generation iPod coming with a an Apple branded case. Why not the iPad?
At the end of the day, the iPad Case by Apple is a useable case with some misgivings. I have a feeling that I might end up doing what I did with my iPhone. And that is go case-less.
Nude electronics just feel so much better.
Apple iPad Case